Thursday, November 26, 2009

Let’s Remember Our Veterans This Thanksgiving

Across America millions of American’s will celebrate the joy of Thanksgiving with family and friends, but others will spend their Thanksgiving far from home and far from family. For those serving in the Armed Forces of this nation on the front lines of freedom in Iraq & Afghanistan they will be protecting the freedom that we cherish enabling us to be with our family.

This Thanksgiving let’s take the time to remember all that we have and the freedom that we enjoy. Take the time to say a prayer for our brave men & women who give up everything so that we may live in freedom. Too often we fail to realize all that we have and all the benefits that this nation has to offer. We seem to only dwell on the negative aspect of America, instead looking at its countless blessings.

Today brings back many memories have countless Holiday spent overseas while serving with the Marines, but one holiday truly stands out was the one I spent Thanksgiving in Afghanistan. That day was like any other day, but the only difference was I knew it was Thanksgiving and my thoughts always went back to reflecting to my family.

My thoughts took me back into time as I reflected on past Thanksgivings and the wonderful holiday meal that was prepared by my mother who had the care of an angel. Her happiness was providing a bountiful meal for my brothers and myself with her joy seeing us devour the delicious meal.

The image would be interrupted by the sounds of conflict and bring me back to reality, but for a fleeting moment I was in another more tranquil place. Today, all military personnel in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places across the globe will reflect back to their own Thanksgiving memories.

Let’s remember them and the sacrifice that they and their families give to us so we can be with our families. Today let’s think of them, it’s the least we can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment