Monday, December 21, 2009

The Holidays In Afghanistan

Christmas is just days away and many of us are finishing up last minute Christmas shopping and making the final arrangements on where we will be spending the holidays. Unfortunately, those serving in the military – in harm’s way -- know all too well how they will be spending Christmas: Doing the same thing that they have been doing day in and day out -- going on patrol into the vast unknown never knowing if this will be their last mission.

Speaking from experience, the holidays can be a very difficult time for the serviceman or woman. You continue with your mission, but your mind ponders on your loved ones at home. I cannot help but think of the time I spent serving our Nation in Afghanistan during the holidays.

The day starts like any other day, but you know something is different when you enter the chow hall as decorations are affixed everywhere and a holiday display is arranged in front of the entrance. Military personnel serving the meal are wearing various holiday-themed accessories and the meal is in line with a traditional feast that you could find anywhere back home.

No matter how well the military tries to make this a festive event it still doesn’t replace spending time with family or friends back home. One’s mind reflects on home and loved ones, and you yearn to call home and surprise your family with your voice. Yet, it doesn’t duplicate being there.

Standing in the chow line, I’d remember the home-cooked meals that my mother would spend hours making the traditional Italian meal for my family. It wasn’t the holidays without my Italian father opening a bottle of red wine, reminiscing about his family in Italy when he was a boy.

Our holiday meal in the military was oftentimes was a processed turkey and a piece of pie. Afterwards, we went back to work that evening as I had the night shift in the command center. I’d make a quick call back home then for a few minutes I felt like I wasn’t in Afghanistan. Several minutes later, it was back to reality; back to war-torn Afghanistan.

I, and many like myself, have endured much to support the cause of freedom. It was a sacrifice and hardship when I returned home one year from Iraq then had the unfortunate timing of not being present when my mother passed away. Instead of a joyous homecoming, it was replaced with the funeral for my dear mother. Instead of a happy celebration turned into sorrow and pain.

No one knows what a service member goes through except other service members. This holiday season let’s take the time for just a brief moment remember all those serving to protect our freedoms and the freedom of others that they stay safe and can return home to their families. It’s the least we can do!


No comments:

Post a Comment